I seem to have been playing around with lots of little things the last couple of months and itched to do something else. So when I came across a wonderful christening gown in Sew Beautiful, I knew i just had to make it (or a variation of it anyway). I rummaged through my material and found a lovely white cotton with tiny white dots on it so off i went. The one in the picture did not have smocking on the skirt so I decided that would be my first thing to do. Off I went and had the first skirt piece smocked in a flash. Imagine my horror when a friend pointed out that the material was back to front; I had smocked the back. No, I had checked the selvedge and it should be right. She was absolutely right however. It is hard to see unless you are in the right light. So I have had to pleat some more material, what I will do with the already smocked panel is as yet a mystery!
The smocking is still waititng to be done but as it has embroidery down the front, that was my weekend's mission. In Sew Beautiful it has lovely embroidery that seems to be machine done. As i do not have the machine, or the inclination to do it by machine, I am hand sewing some little motifs.
By the way, the original gown looks somewhat like this:
And a belated Happy Mother's Day to everyone. We were at my mother-in-law's for the weekend. I had a nice day and i hope you all did too.